NRPE Parameter Problems

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Fri Jan 15 11:44:25 CET 2010

nigel.leach at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> I'm having problem with NRPE parameters while testing a new Nagios
> installation.
>
> Header Node is running RHEL AS4 U6, and Nagios v3.2.0
>
> Client is running RHEL AS4 U4, and NRPE v2.12 (compiled with command
> arguments, and with dont_blame_nrpe=1)
>
> Standard hardcoded nrpe disk checks work fine, for example;
>
> Service definition on Header Node -
>
>         check_nrpe!check_home
>
> Relates to the following in nrpe.cfg on the Client -
>
>         command[check_home]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
> 20% -c 10% -p /home
>
> and returns -
>
>         DISK OK - free space: /home 1878 MB (98% inode=99%);|
> /home=34MB;1612;1813;0;2015
>
> Using variables, I can get the correct results from the command line;
>
> Service definition on Header Node -
>
>         check_nrpe!check_adisk!20%!10%!/opt
>
> Relates to the following in nrpe.cfg on the Client -
>
>         command[check_adisk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
> $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
>
> and I can enter this on the Header Node -
>
>         #../../libexec/check_nrpe -H <client> -c check_adisk -a 20 10
> /opt
>         DISK OK - free space: /opt 432 MB (45% inode=97%);|
> /opt=524MB;987;997;0;1007
>
> However, this does not work within Nagios GUI, all the parameters
> passed are blank. I see this in syslog on the Client -
>
>         Added
> command[check_adisk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk-w $ARG1$ -c
> $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
>         Handling the connection...
>         Host is asking for command \'check_adisk\' to be run...
>         >>>>>Running command: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
>  -c  -p
>         Command completed with return code 3 and output: Unknown
> argument Usage: check_disk -w limit -c limit [-W limit] [-K limit] {-p
> path | -x device} [-C] [-E] [-e] [-g group ] [-k] [-l] [-M] [-m] [-R
> path ] [-r path ] [-t timeout] [-u unit] [-v] [-X type]
>         Return Code: 3, Output: Unknown argument Usage: check_disk -w
> limit -c limit [-W limit] [-K limit] {-p path | -x device} [-C] [-E]
> [-e] [-g group ] [-k] [-l] [-M] [-m] [-R path ] [-r path ] [-t
> timeout] [-u unit] [-v] [-X type]
>
> I'm conscious that I'm probably doing something very trivial wrong,
> but can't get my head around why this should work on the command line,
> and not via the GUI.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Nigel
>
> Nigel Leach
> Grid Engineer | Front Office Risk Systems | BNP Paribas

I'd recommend to enable the nagios debug log and see how nagios is
extrapolating the command for execution .

Once you do that and see how it is sent you can make sure to fix the
command/service to provide the required results.

the debug  file definitions are at the bottom of the nagios.cfg file.

Assaf