Three tier alert system, and how to invoke an external script?

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Wed Jan 13 16:53:08 CET 2010

Mr Gabriel wrote:
> Is it possible to do the following;
>
> There are five people, three groups of people who should be notified in
> case of any issues. the three groups of people each have three ways of
> being notified.
>
> Group One -> Help Desk Team
> Group Two -> IT Support Team
> Group Three -> Management
>
> First notification is email, the second is text message, and the third
> one is by phone. Email is already configured. We have a perl script that
> can be run to send messages, and also a perl script that can connect to
> our asterisk boxes to make calls.
>
> On the first alert, notify group one by email, and ignore the second and
> third group.
> If no acknowledgment is recieved, run perl script for SMS with group one
> by, and group two notify by email
> If again no acknowledgment is received, run script for phone calls, and
> script for SMS/email to group three.
>

> I would like to know if such a setup is possible, and any hints and tips
> as to where I should be looking to figure it out. Before I forget, how
> can I invoke an external script, which is stored on the same server as
> nagios?

You should be able to do all that you want to do by using escalations.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/escalations.html

I'm not certain how to invoke external commands using escalations, but
you can notify the first to your e-mail, wait however many minutes for
the second notification and have it go to group 2, and then wait another
x amount of minutes, then notify group 3.

Escalations should be the ticket for what you want.

Regards,
Max