Check_openmanage

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Mon Jan 4 16:43:01 CET 2010

Jack Lyons <jack1729 at hotmail.com> writes:

> I have some older 2650 that through some message with State=UKNOWN when I use
> check_openmanage
>
> See below for output of check_openmanage -d
>
> Is this a hardware issue that we need to address or is this a system
> configuration issue - no fan probes, no temp probes, no volt probs that could
> be handled via configuration / change of check_openmanage
>
> I have added this to the perl code and it works, but I am having problems
> compiling check_openmanage.pl on windows. (problems installings and using
> PAR::Packer)
>
> in the $ok_errors section
>           | No\sfan\sprobes\sfound\son\sthis\ssystem               # No battery
> probes
>           | No\stemperature\sprobes\sfound\son\sthis\ssystem               # No
> battery probes
>           | No\svoltage\sprobes\sfound\son\sthis\ssystem               # No
> battery probes
>

> A) Could someone give me a compiled version of the check_openmanage.pl
> that has the $ok_errors section in it.

Yes, I could do that for you. But see below first...

> B) Can we modify the --only option to include warning+ to include warning
> messages and above AND ignore Unknown states?

Not sure that I understand what you mean. If used, the --only option
specifies exactly one component to check. For example, '--only cpu'
would make the plugin only check the CPUs. All other components are
ignored. No warnings about e.g. fan probes should then appear.

> C) is there another way to prevent to configure the plugin for nagios from
> alerting on this output.

Yes. You can use the '--check' option to specify that you don't want to
check these things. Example:

  check_openmanage --check fans=0,temp=0,voltage=0

Using the '--check' option as above will prevent check_openmanage to
ever running the commands that are failing.

[...]
> UNKNOWN | Problem running 'omreport chassis fans': Error! No fan probes found
> on this system.
> UNKNOWN | Problem running 'omreport chassis temps': Error! No temperature
> probes found on this system.
> UNKNOWN | Problem running 'omreport chassis volts': Error! No voltage probes
> found on this system.

These are errors from running omreport. They indicate that something is
wrong, either with the hardware or with Openmanage. I would try
reinstalling Openmanage first, which may help. The 2650 is an old model,
but if you still have a valid warranty you should contact Dell support
about this problem. These commands should not fail like this. If all
else fails, use the '--check' option as described above.

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo