parent/child relationship in distribute environment

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Wed Feb 24 13:45:50 CET 2010

HyunSung Jang wrote:

first thing to remember is a nagios server has no parent since he is the
source of test .
but in a distributed nagios setting there is the exception to the rule.

> thank you for your comment,
> but, I think i already configured like you just said.
> actually A1,A2 is not a server but it is our access switch i mean
> there are many servers under A1, A2
>
> let me describe my environment again,
>
> BB1->A1->server1, server2, nagios1(center), nagios2(for servers under
> A1), nagios3(for servers under A2), nagios4(just for switch monitoring)

So all nagios monitoring servers are on the same network connected to
the same switch ?

> BB1->A2->server3, server4...
>
> my central server (nagios1) has all objects
> definition(BB1,A1,A2,server1,server2,server3....etc)
> and then nagios2 has only 2 defined servers which is server1 and server2
> nagios3 has server3, server4
>
> if I start nagios daemon on nagios3, it shows me an error like
> "there's no parent definition for server3"
> because parent for server3 is A2 and parent for A2 is BB1.
> and I didn't put config for A2 and BB1 to nagios3.

That it the reason - server3 has a definition of a parent in the file on
nagios3 , and since the definition does not match the configuration
files , that is the error you get .
> I have no problem when i starting nagios in my central server,
> cuz central server has all configurations of my servers and switches
>
> but distributed nagios server which is nagios3 won't start.
>
> am I doing right or is there a misunderstanding to config nagios properly?

The distributed nagios server should hold parent/child definition only
for the hosts they monitor directly, but not for anything "upstream"
toward the central server, since they are not being monitored from that
machine , the central server should hold for every thing , so it can
know the topology and structure , if all the nagios servers are on the
same switch - the switch should be the parent for the distributed servers .

Assaf