parent/child relationship in distribute environment

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Wed Feb 24 11:19:54 CET 2010

HyunSung Jang wrote:
> hello.
>
> i just finished setting up nagios as distributed monitoring and i
> found a problem.
> we have a backbone switch called BB1.
> and we have 2 access switch called A1, A2 which uses uplink to BB1
> so this makes both A1,A2 have its parent BB1
>
> and then i prepared 4 dedicated servers for nagios,
> first server for central server,
> second server for servers under A1,
> third server for servers under A2,
> fourth server for our switches BB1,A1,A2
>
> in this environment, how can i define parent/child relationship in
> distribute nagios server??
> i read nagios manual that says "only those services and hosts which
> are being monitored directly by the distributed server are defined in
> the object configuration file"
>
> i want keep all configuration file for switches only fourth server
> which is for dedicated switch monitoring.
>
> when i try to start nagios in second and thrid server, it shows error
> like "there is no BB1 parent define in configuration"
>
> thanks for your help.

Hello

I know it is bad to assume things , but i will take it  that you have
both server A1 and A2 transfer the results to the central nagios .

What you must remember and is clearly stated in the docs is that the
definitions of the remote server has to also be on the central server -
they do not however need to be a duplicate on the remote server , that
being said , the Parnet/child relation ship can and should be defined on
the central server  for the whole network , BB1-->A1 -> hosts . while on
each remote host you define the parent/child for only the relevant hosts
that the host is checking .
so if host A1 id down stream from BB1 - it is not defined on A1 , but on
the central  server only  ( it is also a good idea to have active
monitoring  of  BB1 on the central so it will be able to  show real
time  UP/Unknown statuses  ).

Hope this helps.

Assaf