NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Flyinvap flyinvap at orange.fr
Fri Feb 19 17:19:21 CET 2010

Le Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:47:32 -0800,
Kevin Keane <subscription at kkeane.com> a écrit :

> With SNMP, there is no way to do that - you basically can't wrap UDP
> in any way. With NRPE, you can easily implement all kinds of
> homegrown solutions already: ssh tunnels, HTTPS.

You can use SNMP on TCP. You can even use SNMP on SSH or DTLS [1].
net-snmp [2] can do that without implementing SSL tunnel or other kind
of solution. With SNMP v3, you can use authentication and encryption.

I'm not saying SNMP is a good solution but provides all security
needed.

Finally, SSH is cloud be the best way to execute remote plugins.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datagram_Transport_Layer_Security
[2] http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/man/snmpd.html

--
Flyinvap