NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Fri Feb 19 16:47:32 CET 2010

Oh, absolutely. And actually, I believe that's a good thing as long as you get to select the underlying transport mechanism. The authentication and encryption should really be provided by whatever carries the data, not by Nagios at all. With security-related issues, the fewer implementations you have, the better. Rather than reimplement encryption and authentication and then waiting for the security holes to get discovered, why not leverage the work on the SSH and Apache projects?

With SNMP, there is no way to do that - you basically can't wrap UDP in any way. With NRPE, you can easily implement all kinds of homegrown solutions already: ssh tunnels, HTTPS.

In the end, I agree with another poster: NRPE/NSCA could use a revamp (or outright replacement), but it's really not on the top of the list. And I'm concerned that the replacement may end up being worse than the original.