Can I run both Nagios V2 and V3 in parallel while I migrate?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Feb 18 14:26:47 CET 2010

On 18 February 2010 02:29, Lylex Ryan <lylexryan at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In upgrading from nagios (v2) to nagios3, I'd like to do a fresh install of nagios3 and start with a clean sheet of  (config) "paper".  But can I do this while V2 is running production?
>
> Since the packages have different names, I thought it might work.  But they probably would both have /etc/nagios and other default directories in common.  Maybe if I installed from the tar-ball, I could specify new directories for V3, but I'm also trying to avoid that learning-process and use a pre-packaged rpm.
>
> Maybe installing V3 on a different server all-together, then moving it to the production machine would be a way.

I think the standard advice is no you can't run more than one instance
on a single operating-system (of course you probably can if you put
enough effort in to it).

I would recommend against installing your new Nagios 3 install with
non-standard install paths - it could make installing add-ons in the
future (for example PNP graphing, NagVis dashboards etc,) difficult if
everything is in the wrong place.

Personally, when I upgraded from 2 to 3, I put the 3 install on a new
server and 'migrated' hosts and services across from old to new
gradually over a period of a couple of months.