Can I run both Nagios V2 and V3 in parallel while I migrate?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 18 13:59:26 CET 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Lylex Ryan wrote:

> In upgrading from nagios (v2) to nagios3, I'd like to do a fresh install of nagios3 and start with a clean sheet of  (config) "paper".  But can I do this while V2 is running production?

Yes, I've run instances of all three versions on a single box at once.

> Since the packages have different names, I thought it might work.  But they probably would both have /etc/nagios and other default directories in common.

Clearly if the packages install components to common directories then that isn't going to work. Compiling and installing from tarball is not difficult at all and you have control over where things get put (by default everything is under /usr/local/nagios). You'll need to set up a second http vhost with a different name for the second instance and either modify the nagios init script to start the second instance or add the startup to rc.local.

Once you're confident in the success of your transition, you could uninstall the v2 package, install the v3 package and copy over your etc and var directories from your transition install...

--
Marc