Improving performace of the check_folder_size script

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 10 22:42:19 CET 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> I am running Nagios 3.1.2 with the nrpe 2.12 client. One of the scripts that I am using is the
> check_folder_size script.

When asking about a non-standard plugin, it's very useful to also include where you got that plugin. How it does what it does is very relevant to your question.

> The script is configured on
> the client to send warnings when the folder in question reaches 500 gigabytes.

How does it determine this?

> The script appears to be doing its job pretty well, but I notice that occasionally I will get
> timeout issues with the script. I suspect the configuration of the script on the Nagios server is
> the cause, and I wanted to get feedback as to the best settings to have for the script.

Much more likely is that the script is using something like '/bin/du' to calculate the size of the directory and that it is sometimes taking longer than you've told nagios to wait to do so. That doesn't really surprise me for a directory of that size.

> The current
> configuration is shown below:
>
> # Service definition
> define service{

>         check_command               check_nrpe!check_folder_size1
>         }
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what settings would be better here? Thanks.

Look at your check_nrpe command definition. If it specifies a timeout value (-to), increase it as needed. If it doesn't, add one. Also check the value of service_check_timeout in nagios.cfg. It should be higher than the check_nrpe timeout.

An even better solution is to make that directory it's own partition. Then you can use check_disk, which will be nearly instantaneous, to determine the size of the directory.

--
Marc