check_openmanage not using my custom temperature thresholds

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Feb 9 16:15:21 CET 2010

> Openmanage has its own limits. From a random M600 server here, the
> limits for ambient temperature is
>
>   # omreport chassis temps
>   Temperature Probes Information
>
>   ------------------------------------
>   Main System Chassis Temperatures: Ok
>   ------------------------------------
>
>   Index                     : 0
>   Status                    : Ok
>   Probe Name                : System Board Ambient Temp
>   Reading                   : 16.0 C
>   Minimum Warning Threshold : 8.0 C
>   Maximum Warning Threshold : 42.0 C
>   Minimum Failure Threshold : 3.0 C
>   Maximum Failure Threshold : 47.0 C
>
> To be honest, I've never considered the possibility of anyone wanting to
> set custom temperatures *higher* than the OMSA maximum. I allways
> assumed that people wanted to use the custom limits to set the max
> temperature *lower* than the default limits. Clearly I was wrong :)

Yes and no...  I don't *want* to tweak this, but we have a single
server in a remote office in a wiring closet that just barely hits
43C each morning when people start showing up and things start
working a bit.  It causes a lot of nuisance alerts, so we were
playing with massaging the thresholds a bit.

> What happens in your case is that the OMSA limits kicks in. It is
> possible to adjust the OMSA warning limits, e.g.
>
>   # omconfig chassis temps index=0 maxwarnthresh=45
>   Temperature probe warning threshold(s) set successfully.
>
> It is not possible to adjust the critical (failure) limits like this,
> only the warning limits can be set manually. Also, I believe that when a
> server hits the critical limit, in the interest of self preservation it
> shuts itself down.
>
> The plugin could be made to ignore the OMSA warning limit if the custom
> limit is set beyond it, but I'm not sure that we want this in general.
> What do you think?

Now that I know what's going on (and how to adjust the OMSA threshold
if need be), I'd say keep it where it is.  However, if these details
were mentioned on the page:

http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html

it would have saved me a lot of time, hair, and such.  Could this be
added?

Thanks so much!

Benny

--
"Show me on the doll where the marketing touched you."
                               -- "Mally" on Fazed.net