check_openmanage not using my custom temperature thresholds

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Tue Feb 9 16:05:32 CET 2010

"C. Bensend" <benny at bennyvision.com> writes:

> Hey folks,
>
>    I am trying to use custom temperature thresholds with one of my
> servers, and it doesn't seem to take them into account.
>
>    The full command (as defined in NSC.ini for NSClient++):
>
> command[check_openmanage]=check_openmanage.exe -e -p -w 0=50 -c 0=54 -b
> bat_charge=ALL/ctrl_fw=ALL/ctrl_driver=ALL --omreport
> F:\dellopenmanage\oma\bin\omreport.exe
>
>    Per http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html and
> the man page, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to set the temperature
> probe 0's warning threshold to 50C and critical to 54C.  However, I'm
> still getting a non-OK for temp probe 0:
>
> Temperature Probe 0 [System Board Ambient Temp] is too high at 43 C
> ------ SYSTEM: PowerEdge 2900, SN: 4PVXSK1
>
>    Just to be sure this wasn't a glitch with the display of the temp
> probe #, I've tried 0=50,1=50,2=50 and 0=54,1=54,2=54 but it still
> complains.
>
>    Am I missing something?  I've looked at this until I'm crosseyed,
> and I'm pretty sure I'm using it correctly.  Is there a hardcoded
> threshold in there that I'm not aware of?

Hi Benny,

Openmanage has its own limits. From a random M600 server here, the
limits for ambient temperature is

  # omreport chassis temps
  Temperature Probes Information

  ------------------------------------
  Main System Chassis Temperatures: Ok
  ------------------------------------

  Index                     : 0
  Status                    : Ok
  Probe Name                : System Board Ambient Temp
  Reading                   : 16.0 C
  Minimum Warning Threshold : 8.0 C
  Maximum Warning Threshold : 42.0 C
  Minimum Failure Threshold : 3.0 C
  Maximum Failure Threshold : 47.0 C

To be honest, I've never considered the possibility of anyone wanting to
set custom temperatures *higher* than the OMSA maximum. I allways
assumed that people wanted to use the custom limits to set the max
temperature *lower* than the default limits. Clearly I was wrong :)

What happens in your case is that the OMSA limits kicks in. It is
possible to adjust the OMSA warning limits, e.g.

  # omconfig chassis temps index=0 maxwarnthresh=45
  Temperature probe warning threshold(s) set successfully.

It is not possible to adjust the critical (failure) limits like this,
only the warning limits can be set manually. Also, I believe that when a
server hits the critical limit, in the interest of self preservation it
shuts itself down.

The plugin could be made to ignore the OMSA warning limit if the custom
limit is set beyond it, but I'm not sure that we want this in general.
What do you think?

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo