Notification email to different addresses

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 30 15:55:09 CET 2010

On 30 December 2010 14:19, Wilfred de Bondt <wilfred at stachanov.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hopefully the people here can help me. I want to send notification
> emails to different email addresses based on which service is failing.
> So in other words, if service A fails email is sent to email address A
> and if service B fails email is sent to email address B but not to A.
>
> Is this even possible within Nagios or do I have to do this in the email
> server itself?

Yes, it's quite easy to configure.

You need to define two contacts, one for each of the email addresses,
then you can specfy which contact will receive the notification using
the 'contacts' directive in your service definition.

See:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service
and
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#contact

In fact you might find it best to set up contactgroups too, which
makes it easier to move people from one contactgroup to another
without editing all your service definitions.

hth,

Jim