A Question on Console Alerts for a Help Desk

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 29 16:51:37 CET 2010

I have a Nagios 3.x configuration set up and will eventually have a very large Distributed configuration.  So far in the test environment, everything is working fine.

Here is a question.... If someone on our Help Desk is working on a server ( that has not alerted in any way in Nagios ) and decides to restart a service that is a nagios monitored service, the restart of that service will most likely cause an alert to show on the nagios web status screen.  My concern is that someone on the other side of the Help Desk doesn't know that someone is in the box, sees the alert on the monitor screen & dials into the box to see what is going on, effectively having 2 people working on the box.

I am working off of the monitoring screen only and not any notification for this scenario.

I know that the initial person could go into Nagios and schedule downtime for the host or service before they do anything but in our environment, that would not always be possible.

The Help Desk uses a menu to stop & restart services, etc.  Is it feasible ( realistic )  for the menu command to add a snippet of code to put the nagios check for that service/host  in awk mode for say 5 minutes so anyone who sees the alert on the screen would know that its being addressed?

Is there an easier way to do this?

FWIW, we don't do ANYTHING easy here.....  :)

Thanks,

Steve