Make a Host Group not visible on web interface?

Mark A. Lappin MarkL at lmfj.com
Wed Dec 15 18:49:04 CET 2010

Good Morning All -

Is there anyway to define a host group, assign hosts to that host group but not have the membership or the host group show up on under "Host Groups" on the web interface?

I have several things which run like services and several that don't, for the purposes of defining service checks, I would much rather set the services up to look at host groups instead of hosts but I'm ending up with so many host groups that the host groups become almost meaningless in the web interface.

Example - I'm watching about 65 printers with Nagios.  Different makes, different models.   Each printer has any number of physical trays but monitoring them, they are all a bit different.  One of the things I need to monitor is paper tray status.   Some printers count manual feed tray as tray 1, some as tray 2, some as tray 3.  Some have a tray 2 and tray 3 but not tray 1.  So on my service checks, I'm applying this to all my network printers and then on the different tray checks, exclude certain printers.  A little difficult to keep track of.  I would like to put the printers in some host groups such as Tray1, Tray2, Tray3, etc, set services to check those host groups rather than keep excluding hosts on the services.  But host groups Tray1, Tray2, Tray3 are meaningless via the web interf
 ace so I would like them not to show.

Nagios Core - 3.2.3

ML

Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave  | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.291.9094 ext 245 | Fax: 225.368.3675  | Mobile:  225-362-2770
www.lmfj.com

This communication is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication .