converting distributed Nagios setup to Nagios+Merlin

Frost, Mark {PBC} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Wed Dec 15 15:36:22 CET 2010

Our site currently uses a somewhat traditional distributed Nagios setup.  I'm setting up merlin on some new Nagios servers and am looking at what configurations I'm going to want to change.  As part of that, I realize that there are some Nagios config directives that I wanted some clarification on before I started changing things.  I haven't seen these documented elsewhere (at least not that I could find).

I was looking for clarification on the following:

1) Obsessive (ocsp/ochp) configuration directives get turned off.  Merlin does all that.  Plus ocsp/ochp is deemed detrimental to performance making that another reason to turn it off.

2) Freshness checking.  Nagios would probably still try to do this if I left it in, but there's no point since Merlin will also do this.

3) Passive/Active checks.  If I understand things correctly under Merlin everything is an active check.  Or rather, anything that Nagios is supposed to run on some host or another is an active check.  Things that are truly sent via NSCA from some monitored host out there would still be passive, but otherwise everything's configured to run actively Merlin takes care of where it runs.

4) In a load balanced/redundant configuration (such as 'yoda' and 'obi' in the HOWTO doc), which of 'yoda' or 'obi1' sends out notifications?  Or do they both send them out but Merlin somehow only has one of them send it?  I'm guessing that this is handled in the more traditional way where notifications are enabled on say, 'yoda' but disabled on 'obi1'.  If 'yoda' crashes, you manually enable the alerts via the command file on 'obi1'?  It would of course be super-cool if Merlin handled all that :-).

5) Other parameters such as
process_perf_data - still probably only on the master(s), but that's really up to how crazy we'd want be.
event handler settings - unchanged by this configuration
retain status information - unchanged by this configuration

Thanks

Mark