Return code of 127 is out of bounds - only on high cpu load though

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Dec 14 17:12:16 CET 2010

On 12/14/2010 05:08 PM, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> I noticed something odd the other day while stressing my servers.  I
> noticed that when I overload it with too many hosts/checks, that I
> start getting active check failures with the standard 127 code.  But,
> if I slowly reduce the number of hosts/checks, I’ll get to a point
> where it starts working again.  Anyone else seen this, where the
> “plugin may be missing” really isn’t the problem and only on high
> load?

Does it happpen for all checks or just checks of a certain type?
Some checks share resources in a way that cause them to bomb out
when too many of them are run simultaneously. One possible error
in such cases is the infamous 127 error.

If it happens with compiled plugins from the standard plugins
package, that's not it though as they're all fairly well behaved.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.