check_openmanage plugin reporting Firmware out of date

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Mon Dec 13 11:42:17 CET 2010

Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no> writes:

> "Surangiwala, Asif " <Asif.Surangiwala at firstdata.com> writes:
>
>> Can we update the check_openmanage script to parse the "Minimum
>> Required Firmware Version" and compare it with the current "Firmware
>> Version" to overcome the OMSA bug?
>
> It is entirely possible to mitigate this bug within the plugin, but I
> don't think that it's a good idea to let the plugin do all version
> parsings and ignore OMSA on a general basis. I have created a version
> that works around this particular bug (version 3.6.2-p1) and made it
> available here:
>
>   http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/omsa-fw-bug/
>
> It simply ignores out-of-date firmware if the firmware and minimum
> firmware versions match those in question. But in order for this to
> work, I also had to turn off checking the global health status, which
> inherits the non-critical status of the controller.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This version is only intended as a temporary solution for
> users of OMSA 6.3.0 that struggles with the recent firmware bug, and
> don't want to use blacklisting as a workaround. When OMSA 6.4.0 becomes
> available, you should upgrade OMSA and revert to a regular release of
> check_openmanage.

Hi Asif,

Dell has released OMSA 6.4.0, which fixes the firmware version parsing
issue. I have also released a new version of check_openmanage that
contains a few compatibility fixes for OMSA 6.4.0:

  http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html#download

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo