Alert host down with passive check

Greg Pangrazio pangrazi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 16:18:23 CET 2010

You can use a macro for another service but why don't you use that service
as the host check?
On Dec 11, 2010 2:00 AM, "Rikard Dahlberg" <rik.dahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the fast answer.
> Freshenss seems to do the tric, to a point anyway.
> I can see if the host services dies now, just like an active check as its
down. However it doesn't report correctly on the host status.

> Since freshness last resport option is to ping the host IP adress, and if
the server goes down and are behind a firewall, the ping will just go to
that gateway. Is there any way to "fake" nagios to thinking that the host is
down if some service goes down?
> Rikard
>
>> From: pangrazi at gmail.com
>> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:28:13 -0600
>> To: rik.dahlberg at gmail.com; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Alert host down with passive check
>>
>> Please keep the list on the replies so others can learn from this as
well.

>> define service{
>> use generic-service
>> host_name HOST
>> service_description Logged In users
>> active_checks_enabled 0;
>> passive_checks_enabled 1;
>> check_freshness 1;
>> freshness_threshold 600;
>> check_command check_stale!2!'This Service is stale'
>> }
>>
>> Greg Pangrazio
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Rikard Dahlberg <rik.dahlberg at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > I've now edited nagios.cfg to use freshness and looked up the manual..
:)
>> > Would you mind giving me an example of the service and command? Mine
still
>> > isn't working..
>> >
>> > Rikard

DOWN, if