Newbie Question.. Monitoring Lnux machines.

Daniel Wittenberg daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com
Thu Dec 2 22:46:06 CET 2010

Well, local lan really doesn't have to do with it. You CAN use SNMP for
some of the checks, my in my experience you can't get everything from
SNMP or as detailed info on some things, so I always use NRPE.  If you
are monitoring the local machine, (localhost) then you obviously don't
need an agent, but if you are monitoring other servers you'll need with
SNMP or NRPE.

Dan