Tuning for Passive Check latency

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Aug 19 12:34:25 CEST 2010

2010/8/19 Yu Watanabe <yu.watanabe at jp.fujitsu.com>:
> Hello Jim.
>
> Thank you for your support and affording your time.
>
> Yes , the document I read was the link you have sent to me.
> However, I was not sure whcich parameter should I change intitally.
>
> Regarding to the check_interval, we want to choose this option
> as a last option since ping checks are very important.
>
> I am thinking of change the parameters in following order:
>
> 1. Increase external buffer slot
> >From :
>  # external_command_buffer_slots=
>
> To   :
>  external_command_buffer_slots=768
>
> 2. Change the external command check interval
> >From :
>  check_external_commands=1
>
> TO   :
>  check_external_commands=-1

check_external_commands should be either "1" or "0".

I expect you were thinking of command_check_interval which yes should
be set to "-1" if you want Nagios to check external commands as often
as possible.  This is how I have mine set:

  command_check_interval=-1

Does your nagiostats output include "Used/High/Total Command Buffers:"
and if so, what does it say?

If it helps any, I also have:

  external_command_buffer_slots=4096

and my nagiostats says:

  Used/High/Total Command Buffers:        1 / 100 / 4096

Cheers,

Jim