Host Groups / Definitions

Shane Killian shane.killian at irishjobs.ie
Tue Aug 17 18:03:55 CEST 2010

Thanks guys,

So for example I have the windows.cfg file.
I should define all windows servers here?

That file contains the following portion:
# Define a hostgroup for Windows machines
# All hosts that use the windows-server template will automatically be a member of this group

define hostgroup{
hostgroup_name              windows-servers              ; The name of the hostgroup
alias                        Windows Servers              ; Long name of the group
                }

Do I need to remove this?
Then, define each host group in the hostgroup.cfg file (I mean literally, a file called hostgroup.cfg file - I know that's a stupid question but I need to ask!).
Define the members in this file also.

Then in the windows.cfg file, under each process or service define each host group that the check should be run against e.g.

define service{
                use                                          generic-service
                hostgroup_name          Datacenter
                service_description         NSClient++ Version
                check_command                               check_nt!CLIENTVERSION
               }

Correct?

Kind Regards,

Shane