setting up nagios to monitor other systems load, mem, disk

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 18:18:14 CEST 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Dombrowski, Neil wrote:

> I have nagios 3.2.1 installed on a RH5.5 box, and it is monitoring
> ssh on
>
> client systems (and host check/ping). I now want to be able to check
> disk
>
> capacity, cpu load, etc., on other systems(clients). It's not clear
> to me
>
> how to do this in the documentation. Do I need to use check_by_ssh
> or nrpe?

You can do either. I have been using check_by_ssh because I didn't
want to open a new port on my client machines, and they are all
running sshd on them. But this does not scale very well. We have a 2
core server, and about 300 hosts, and 1500 checks, and it's loaded the
host down pretty bad.

If I was to stay doing active checks, I would do NRPE as I have done
in the past. It scales much better.
> Is there a way to package up part of the nagios install and
> distribute it to
>
> all systems I want to monitor?

You'll want to get the nrpe plugin along with the plugin checks. We
usually just push the files to the systems, compile, install, and then
put our configs in place. A smart bash script can automate most of the
install for you.
> I would much appreciate it if someone could
>
> send me a link to the right document for this.

The basics you'll need are to define another host. Define services.
Define commands for those services. Add the host to those services. On
the client, install and configure nrpe. Install the plugins you want
to use. And then open up firewalls for these new services.

Sorry I can't find the link I used to use when I first started out
with nagios.