Nagios supervising nagios?

Herb J. nagios at herb-j.com
Thu Aug 5 18:38:38 CEST 2010

That would be considered a standard distributed Nagios setup. We do that
in our Nagios cluster.

We have a number of remote Nagios collectors in different locations.
They all forward their service check results back to a central
monitoring server. That server doesn't actually run any host or service
checks (other than to monitor the remote collectors), but that depends
on how you configure your Nagios installation. Each remote collector is
fully independent in the fact that they have the standard Nagios web
interface, they schedule their own service checks, and they can generate
notifications for failed hosts/services (we decided against that and
only have our central collector generating notifications). The data is
passed back using OCP_daemon to improve performance, which feeds data
back to the central collector using NSCA.

However, due to the size of our setup, without heavy use of templating
and fully automated configuration file management, it would be a
nightmare to maintain.