check_snmp not working, but snmpget does

Adam Carter - Vantage IT adam.carter at vantageit.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 11:05:40 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am running nagios 2.9 on Ubuntu server.  It has been functioning fine

and we are starting to monitor more equipment.  I am trying to get SNMP

work with the idea of monitoring a Cisco 501 through an ipsec tunnel.

The VPN/networking side works fine, it is just Nagios I cannot get to
work.

If I run snmpwalk:

snmpwalk  -v 1 -c public x.x.x.x

then it reutrns back the full result set from a mixture of mibs

(SNMPv2-MIB,IF-MIB being the main ones)

snmpget on a speceifc OID:

snmpget  -v 1 -c public x.x.x.x ifNumber.0

IF-MIB::ifNumber.0 = INTEGER: 2

If I try and run the check_snmp command manually, specifying the snmp v1

get the following:

 ./check_snmp -H 10.0.30.1 -c cisco-assp -P 1 -o IF-MIB::ifNumber.0

External command error: Cannot find module (IF-MIB): At line 0 in (none)

IF-MIB::ifNumber.0: Unknown Object Identifier

The MIBS are in /usr/share/snmp/mibs, I have run the export MIBDIRS

command to locate to the correct location, but check_snmp still has
issue

with finding them.

Any ideas anyone?

Adam Carter
adam.carter at vantageit.co.uk
http://www.vantageit.co.uk/
http://www.vantageit.co.uk/contact.php
http://www.vantageit.co.uk/contact.php
Please visit our website at: http://www.vantageit.co.uk/
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and then delete it. Any views or opinions in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of harmful code. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any harmful code transmitted by or with this email.