Return Code of 4

Weiner, Michael weinerm at ccf.org
Thu Apr 15 22:32:33 CEST 2010

Dear list readers -

Its been awhile since I have posted anything here, mainly because I find
for the most part Nagios just works and does so pretty much out of the
box for most things. Lately I have been gathering up all the
monitoring/scripting pieces that the Windows administrator has laying
around on the floor and trying to put them into Nagios in some sensible
way. So, I have been working on some scripts/plugins for Symantec
NetBackup, in particular, we run the Master and Media Servers on Windows
servers and I am trying to get Nagios which runs on a Linux box to check
(for the first part of my exercise) certain pools. I have a shell script
written based on Jurry's script that takes a few arguments from the
command line and checks the remote server for the pool specified in the
check command. An example is shown below:

$USER1$/check_pool my-backup-server 100 20 Scratch ALL

The check_pool script simply users vmquery via sudo in order to elevate
the nagios users' rights to be that of root and run the appropriate
command:

sudo -u nagios /usr/local/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -h my-backup-server
-b -pn Scratch

Running this at the command line (even as user nagios) succeeds and
gives me

Scratch OK : available tapes 121|Scratch=121;100;20

However once I add this as a service check to nagios I receive the
following:

Warning: Return code of 4 for check of service 'Scratch_Pool_Check' on
host 'my-backup-server' was out of bounds.

I tried googling for the return code 4 and really came up empty, but
read a lot about various other return codes. Does someone on the list do
something similar? If so, how? And is anyone able to shed some light on
the above Warning?

Thanks in advance

Michael Weiner

in America by U.S.News & World Report (2009).
locations.