Parent relationships versus dependencies

Christian Schneemann schneemann at b1-systems.de
Thu Apr 15 22:35:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 15 April 2010 10:11:39 pm Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> While attempting to finally get to writing out my dependencies config file,
>  I noticed that the docs suggest that for Host deps, parent relationships
>  should be used. I got unreachable alerts from a host whose parent was
>  down, and once the parent returned online, I immediately got the down
>  alert.
>
> Either it doesn't make sense to alert on "unreachable" or I still need the
> dependencies.cfg setup to prevent the unreachable alerts from being
>  dispatched?

it's up to you if you want a notification if a host is unreachable, or just
for the parent that's down.

Have a look at the notification_options for your hosts, there you can
configure if these unreachable messages should be sent. (or
host_notification_options at contacts, ...)

I think it could be interesting for some people to know which hosts can not be
reached if a special host is down.

Regards,
 Christian

--
Christian Schneemann            Geschaeftsfuehrer: Ralph Dehner
IT Consultant & Trainer            Unternehmenssitz:  Vohburg

Adresse: B1 Systems GmbH, Osterfeldstraße 7, 85088 Vohburg
GPG: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2FA8643A41BDAB81