service dependency - dependent from

Christian Schneemann schneemann at b1-systems.de
Thu Apr 8 15:09:14 CEST 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 02:44:27 pm C. Bensend wrote:
> > If I understand the documentation right it is just possible to add the
> > services that are dependent _from_ a service in the servicedependency
> > definition.
> > I would need to define a service and add to that definition from which
> > service
> > it is dependent.
> >
> > As an example I would like to add on the fly services using nrpe by just
> > adding a new file with the service definitions I need. These services
> > would be
> > dependent from the already defined nrpe-service.
> >

> > Or is it possible to create multiple servicedependency definition with
> > the same service_description (same master)? Has anyone tested this
> > already?
>
> You mean like:
>

> # All services that depend on NSClient++
> define servicedependency{
>         # Host the dependent service is running on
>         dependent_host_name             HOSTNAME
>         # Service that is dependent on the service_description below
>         dependent_service_description   C:,CPU,Dell hardware,DHCP
> scope,DHCP server,E:,F:,H:,I:,Shadow copies E:,Shadow copies
> H:,Shadow copies I:,Memory usage,SMS Agent Host,Unplanned
> restart,User-initiated restart
>         # Host the master service is running on
>         host_name                       HOSTNAME
>         # Service that the others depend on
>         service_description             NSClient++
>         # Criteria to NOT notify for, if the above service is down
>         notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
>         }
>

> ?  Because I have several hundred dependencies configured like this.

No, that is the way it's documented :)

I want something like: (used other names just to make clear what I mean)
define service {
	service_description		nrpe
}

define service {
	service_description		filesystem_through_nrpe
}
define servicedependency {
	dependent_service		filesystem_through_nrpe
	dependent_from		nrpe
}

define service {
	service_description		health_through_nrpe
}
define servicedependency {
	dependent_service		health_through_nrpe
	dependent_from		nrpe
}

or as a "better" way to define the service one is dependent from like this:
define service{
	service_description		health_nrpe
	dependent_from		nrpe
}

like the "parent" we have at hosts.

	Christian

--
Christian Schneemann            Geschaeftsfuehrer: Ralph Dehner
IT Consultant & Trainer            Unternehmenssitz:  Vohburg

Adresse: B1 Systems GmbH, Osterfeldstraße 7, 85088 Vohburg
GPG: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2FA8643A41BDAB81