Service / Host Dependency Check - logic

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Thu Apr 1 23:54:25 CEST 2010

Mirza Dedic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to make sure I understand the logic here correctly before implementing it; basically my goal here is to "minimize" the amount of notifications that come through.
>
> Right now, as an example I have in my definitions:
>
> My host cfg:
>
> define host{
> 	use			windows-server
> 	host_name		van-mail01
> 	alias			van-mail01
> 	address		172.16.4.10
> }
>
> define service{
> 	use					generic-service
> 	host_name				van-mail01
> 	service_description		Ping
> 	check_command			check_ping!250.0,20%!500.0,20%
> }
>
> Then, many services configured for that box that check ports, service states, processes, disk space, memory, CPU., the standard stuff..
>
> define service{
> 	use				generic-service
> 	host_name			van-mail01
> 	service_description	Uptime
> 	check_command		check_nt_up
> 	process_perf_data		0
> }
>
> define service{
> 	use				generic-service
> 	host_name			van-mail01
> 	service_description	C - Disk Space
> 	check_command		check_nt_disk!C!95!98
> }
>
> define service{
> 	use				generic-service
> 	host_name			van-mail01
> 	service_description	D - Disk Space
> 	check_command		check_nt_disk!D!95!98
> }
>
> Well, if I can't ping Host A from my Nagios box, then the host is probably down or the network on which Host A is on is down, so I want to suppress notification for all the services on that host, and just receive one notice that "host a" cannot be pinged.
>
> Is this the correct method to accomplish this?
>
> define servicedependency{
> 	dependent_host_name			van-mail01
> 	dependent_service_description		Ping
> 	host_name					host_name
> 	hostgroup_name				van-mail01
> 	service_description			Uptime, C - Disk Space, D - Disk Space
> 	inherits_parent	[0/1]										# what should this be?
> 	execution_failure_criteria		[o,w,u,c,p,n]					# ??
> 	notification_failure_criteria		[o,w,u,c,p,n]					# ??
> 	}
>
> I want to only receive a Warning for van-mail01's Ping and suppress everything else since its going to be "unreachable/unknown/critical/down" if I can't ping the service.
>
> Please let me know, thank you.

you have it the wrong way round , it should be like this

define servicedependency{
	host_name			van-mail01
	service_description		Ping
	service_description			Uptime, C - Disk Space, D - Disk Space
	execution_failure_criteria		w,u,c
	notification_failure_criteria		,w,u,c
	}

this  tells nagios that the primary service is ping and the others
depend on him to work.
the fact that we only state the host ones - tells nagios that it is
"same host dependencies"

to get more in depth understanding read these :
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/dependencies.html
and
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html

Assaf