Service / Host Dependency Check - logic

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Thu Apr 1 23:41:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I just want to make sure I understand the logic here correctly before implementing it; basically my goal here is to "minimize" the amount of notifications that come through.

Right now, as an example I have in my definitions:

My host cfg:

define host{
	use			windows-server
	host_name		van-mail01
	alias			van-mail01
	address		172.16.4.10
}

define service{
	use					generic-service
	host_name				van-mail01
	service_description		Ping
	check_command			check_ping!250.0,20%!500.0,20%
}

Then, many services configured for that box that check ports, service states, processes, disk space, memory, CPU., the standard stuff..

define service{
	use				generic-service
	host_name			van-mail01
	service_description	Uptime
	check_command		check_nt_up
	process_perf_data		0
}

define service{
	use				generic-service
	host_name			van-mail01
	service_description	C - Disk Space
	check_command		check_nt_disk!C!95!98
}

define service{
	use				generic-service
	host_name			van-mail01
	service_description	D - Disk Space
	check_command		check_nt_disk!D!95!98
}

Well, if I can't ping Host A from my Nagios box, then the host is probably down or the network on which Host A is on is down, so I want to suppress notification for all the services on that host, and just receive one notice that "host a" cannot be pinged.

Is this the correct method to accomplish this?

define servicedependency{
	dependent_host_name			van-mail01
	dependent_service_description		Ping
	host_name					host_name
	hostgroup_name				van-mail01
	service_description			Uptime, C - Disk Space, D - Disk Space
	inherits_parent	[0/1]										# what should this be?
	execution_failure_criteria		[o,w,u,c,p,n]					# ??
	notification_failure_criteria		[o,w,u,c,p,n]					# ??
	}

I want to only receive a Warning for van-mail01's Ping and suppress everything else since its going to be "unreachable/unknown/critical/down" if I can't ping the service.

Please let me know, thank you.
The Oppenheimer Group ---- CONFIDENTIAL