Using Nagios with SNMP traps to monitor storage

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Sep 24 23:36:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Mikey Sklar
<sklarm-nagios at screwdecaf.cx> wrote:

> Is anyone currently using nagios snmp traps to monitor this type of storage
> equipment?
>
> - EMC CX500

We are doing trap receipt for this, your SNMPTT rules will have to be
pretty detailed as the EMC CX* series only sends out 3 traps, with
specific error and recovery information embedded in each trap.

> I've tried setting up nagios + snmptrapd + snmptt as detailed here.
>
> http://xavier.dusart.free.fr/joomla/index.php/en/nagios/47-traps-snmp-dans-nagios

> I also converted two mibs with snmptt for EMC / Hitachi devices.
> The MIBs were not for the exact hardware models we have. Should
> I just being doing a snmpwalk since I cannot locate the proper MIBs.

You will not be able to get this information from an SNMP walk as
traps are send only events :) so if they are codified it is only in
the vendor provided MIB(s).

> Also, I continue to see this message on the nagios console for the SAN
> devices. Is that what I should expect to see until a successful
> trap occurs?

> Status Information: Service is not scheduled to be checked.

Yes, that means no passive check has been received for the service.
If you specify

initial_state    o

in your service config Nagios should set the initial state for the
service to the specified state, which is o == OK in the above config
snippet.

I say should because currently with our Nagios 3.0.3 instance we see
cases where passive services stay in pending instead of being
initialized to OK per our configs.

- Max