SNMP for External IP Address

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:46:07 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am pretty new to Nagios and set up a box up in our data center.  Right
now, we pay yearly licensing for some other software which I feel is not
that great and from what I have read and the little I have worked with
Nagios, this appears much better.  In my spare time I am setting up this
Nagios box.  My hope is that i can get it the way I want before the next
yearly licensing comes through on our current network monitoring software so
that we simply will not renew and move over to the Nagios box.

Anyway, one of my tasks is to obtain the WAN address for a series of routers
at remote locations (~100 locations).  I have been trying to find the
appropriate SNMP query for this but have come up short.  When I do an
snmpwalk, the only thing I can find that has the Internet IP is this:
.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.THE.INTERNET.IP.ADDRESS = IpAddress:
THE.INTERNET.IP.ADDRESS

where THE.INTERNET.IP.ADDRESS* *is the actual address I am looking for.
This is in the IP-MIB::ipAdEntAddr table.  However, I cannot query this
since what I am looking for is part of the OID that I am trying to query.

Is there anyway to get this information?  I could snmpwalk then pass the
output to a script that parses the output and finds the address easily
enough, however, to snmpwalk 100 routers is not feasible.  I would also like
to set it up in Nagios where this is monitored and available to view or
export a host-group to a report with this information.

Thanks.

Kevin