Nagios dying issue

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Sep 17 04:43:26 CEST 2009

Rex Chan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I may have a couple of different problems and I'm not sure if they're related.
>
> Every so often our Nagios instance dies. A restart tells us there's a lock file but no process running.
>
> Once restarted Nagios doesn't seem to want to perform any service checks.
>
> One way that I've found to get Nagios to check again seems to be to remove status.sav and objects.cache and restart.
>
> So, I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how to figure out why Nagios dies?

I'd recommend some really basic troubleshooting (which you may have
done, but since you haven't mentioned what you've done so far, I'm
starting at square one).  Check your system logs, Nagios logs, and any
other logs that may be related. Check your disk space. Check dmesg.

Symptoms like you're describing could be the result of bad RAM, a full
disk, or a corrupted/old/buggy copy of Nagios. Mentioning which version
you're running, how it was installed, and, well,  any specifics at all
about your setup would be really helpful to someone trying to point you
in the right direction.