Confusion over timeperiods

Grant Sewell nagios at thymox.co.uk
Fri Sep 11 11:04:08 CEST 2009

Hi all,

It may purely be me being thick, but I'm really struggling to get my
Nagios setup (3.0.6 on Debian Lenny) to use timeperiods the way I want
it to.

We have a server running Plesk and "Plesk Total Backup".  For this to
work it seems to take all the services down - http, https, imap, & pop3
are the only ones I'm interested in however.

We have a number of servers running the same services but this is the
only one where the services are stopped like this.  I realise the issue
is with the fact that the various services are listed with notification
timeperiods of 24x7, but how do I single out the services on a single
server?  Would I need to create a new service entry for the above 4
services for this specific server?

I have the following in my Nagios setup:

define timeperiod{
        timeperiod_name exceptpsabackup
        alias           psabackup
        monday          00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        tuesday         00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        wednesday       00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        thursday        00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        friday          00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        saturday        00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
        sunday          00:00-01:00,04:00-23:59
}

define host{
        use             generic-host
        host_name       MyServerName
        alias           MyServerAlias
        address         12.34.56.78
        contact_groups  Tech
        check_period            exceptpsabackup
        notification_period     exceptpsabackup
}

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of this host template
        notifications_enabled           1               ; Host notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1               ; Host event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1               ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1               ; Failure prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1               ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1               ; Retain status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1               ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              10
        notification_interval           0
        notification_options            d,r,f,s
        register                        0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

define service {
        host_name               MyServerName
        service_description     HTTP
        check_command           check_http
        use                     generic-service
        notification_interval   0 ; set > 0 if you want to be renotified
}

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
        notification_interval           0               ; Only send notifications on status change by default.
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        max_check_attempts              4
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        contact_groups                  Tech
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

Cheers.
Grant.