service dependency problem - config check hangs

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Mon Sep 7 20:40:21 CEST 2009

On 9/7/09 2:09 PM, Terry wrote:
> 2009/9/7 Mathieu Gagné<mgagne at iweb.com>:
>
> I turned that off but no luck.  What's interesting is this dependency
> works fine:
>
> define servicedependency{
>          hostgroup_name                          webmonitor
>          service_description                     port 80
>          dependent_hostgroup_name                webmonitor
>          dependent_service_description           http.*
>          inherits_parent                         0
>          execution_failure_criteria              w,u,c
>          notification_failure_criteria           w,u,c
>          }
>
> Is it the large number of dependencies at play here that's the problem?

You are still using the same syntax and still have the same problem:
Each service starting with "http" on ALL hosts in hostgroup "webmonitor"
will depend on ALL "port 80" service on ALL hosts in hostgroup
"webmonitor". See the problem here?

If you have 800 hosts and 10 http services, this will result in
(10*800)*800 servicedependencies. (~6,400,000 servicedependencies)

Obviously, Nagios will "hang" if you have that much servicedependencies.

My patch covers same host servicedependencies with dependent
*servicegroups* by using this syntax:

define servicedependency{
   service_description            NRPE
   dependent_servicegroup_name    all-services-depending-on-nrpe
}

As you can see, you are currently mixing 2 syntax. They are both
*totally different*, dealt by 2 totally different parts of the Nagios
code and you can't mix them.

So, with the example you gave me (the one for HTTP, which is a totally
different example), you can do this which should work fine:

define servicedependency {
   hostgroup_name                    webmonitor
   service_description               port 80
   dependent_service_description     http.*
   inherits_parent                   0
   execution_failure_criteria        w,u,c
   notification_failure_criteria     w,u,c
}

The syntax is explained here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html#same_host_dependency

If you want a "mass definition" of self host servicedependencies for
your services depending on NRPE, you will have to either:
- Use my patch as I explained it earlier. (please reread my example if
needed), OR
- Make sure all services depending on NRPE start with the same prefix
"nrpe" and use the syntax described above.

--
Mathieu