service dependency problem - config check hangs

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:09:23 CEST 2009

2009/9/7 Mathieu Gagné <mgagne at iweb.com>:
> On 9/7/09 1:27 PM, Terry wrote:

>>> I didn't tried Nagios 3.2.0 yet.
>>> I can't tell if the patch would work with this version. :-/
>>>

>> Well there you go!  :)  Back to the drawing board.
>
> I tried the patch with Nagios 3.2.0 and it works fine.
> Make sure you run "make clean" before compiling.
>
> Also, with my patch, you don't need to include "hostgroup_name". In fact,
> you should NOT, otherwise it will result in the same problem you have
> already. (all services depending on the "nrpeclient" service on ALL hosts)
>
> You need to include a "dependent_servicegroup_name" clause with a
> servicegroup grouping all NRPE dependent services and the actual NRPE
> service (service_description) you wish those services depend on. Example:
>
> define servicedependency{
>  service_description                     nrpeclient
>  dependent_servicegroup_name             nrpe-services
>  inherits_parent                         1
>  execution_failure_criteria              n
>  notification_failure_criteria           w,u,c
> }
>

> If it still doesn't work, your problem might have something to do with
> "inherits_parent". I haven't tried it with "inherits_parent" yet.
>
> --
> Mathieu

I turned that off but no luck.  What's interesting is this dependency
works fine:

define servicedependency{
        hostgroup_name                          webmonitor
        service_description                     port 80
        dependent_hostgroup_name                webmonitor
        dependent_service_description           http.*
        inherits_parent                         0
        execution_failure_criteria              w,u,c
        notification_failure_criteria           w,u,c
        }

Is it the large number of dependencies at play here that's the problem?