service dependency problem - config check hangs

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:54:31 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Marc Powell<marc at ena.com> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Terry wrote:
>
>> Most of them are windows boxes.  Notice 678608 service dependencies.
>> I can't imagine that what I am doing is uncommon.  Can someone post a
>> working nsclient++ or nrpe dependency configuration?
>
> Based on that number, it looks like you're getting all services
> dependent on the NRPE services on all hosts. I haven't been following
> this thread but what I think you're trying to do has recently been
> discussed on nagios-devel (which I haven't really been following
> either) *but* it may be useful/relevant to you as there is some patch
> provided there... Just pointing you to the other thread...
>
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel - Mass define service
> dependency for NRPE services.
>
> YMMV.
>
> --
> Marc

I appreciate the suggestions so far.  I tried the patch and it still
hangs.  I can't believe this doesn't work for 3.2.0.  I have played
around with the config a bit, so here is my latest:

use_regexp_matching=1

define servicedependency{
        hostgroup_name                          windows,linux
        service_description                     nrpeclient
        dependent_hostgroup_name                windows,linux
        dependent_service_description           .* - nrpe
        inherits_parent                         1
        execution_failure_criteria              n
        notification_failure_criteria           w,u,c
        }
define service {
        use                     service-active-high
        hostgroup_name          windows
        service_description     nrpeclient
        check_command           check_tcp!5666
        }
define service {
        use                     service-active-perf-low
        hostgroup_name          windows
        service_description     disk drives - nrpe
        check_command           check_nrpe_win_drives!95\%!98\%
        }

I have 183 windows hosts and roughly 8 nrpe services per host.  I have
a handful of linux boxes with 2 nrpe services per host.  To me, this
seems like a pretty small installation and what I am doing shouldn't
be out of line.  Any other thoughts?