Fake host/services

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Sep 7 09:50:58 CEST 2009

2009/9/7 Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr>:
> Hi all
>
> Is that possible to create some (>1) fake host/service ?
>
> My nagios monitor many hosts/services, some server is on UPS, but many off
> then is not on UPS. When my power going down I've got many of many of
> alerte (of course my nagios-server is on UPS).
>
> So I don't want to make >1000 acknowledge, and I would like to create some
> fake hosts, and make all my no_UPS host depend on it. So when the power
> going down I can put those fake host to down and don't get > 1000 messages.
>
> If I can create dependency between fake-host it's better
>
> Any idea ?

I would simply choose a device which is not on on the UPS (preferably
a simple one which is not so likely to be turned off routinely or
accidentally or break of its own accord) and make it the 'parent' of
all the other non-UPS hosts on the same power circuit.  The advantage
of this approach is it's not fake so Nagios should do the right thing
and only notify you for that one device if the power fails.

hth,

Jim