Monitoring a router

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Sep 3 10:10:19 CEST 2009

2009/9/2 David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net>:
> I'm just looking to use it to filter out failure
> reports from services beyond failed network links.

If that's the case I'd recommend maybe implementing your checks solely
(and somewhat pedantically) from the perspective of what is useful for
Nagios reachability checks.  I would set up a host check for each
interface on the far side of the router (from the Nagios server), but
only for interfaces where there are hosts behind which Nagios is
interested in.  That way, if the one router interface goes down, or if
the whole router goes down, then either way Nagios should handle
reachability properly (assuming you've also set the parent
relationships on the child nodes correctly too).

Cheers,

Jim