Monitoring a router

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Sep 2 23:12:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, September 1, 2009 16:54, Marc Powell wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:41 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> Right now I'm just pinging it.  That works, in the sense that I get
>> the
>> ping back. But I am suspicious that, if the link went down, the router
>> would still respond to pings.
>>
>> Is this "best practice" in the opinion of the community?
>
> We monitor about 3000 routers with ping only. We ping an RFC 1918 IP
> assigned to the loopback interface on the router. That way, as long as
> any serial interface on the router is up, the router is still 'up'
> without us having to configure every a ping for every serial
> interface. This is sufficiently 'up' for our SLA purposes... For the
> purposes of parenting, the ping check is likely sufficient.

Thanks for reminding me about the collection of IP interfaces sitting in
that router.  That makes ping more precise.

> We also monitor the individual interfaces via SNMP to know when any
> one goes down. We have a process such that we don't need to add each
> specific serial interface into nagios but just figure what should be
> up in real time.

Sounds like a more complicated network than ours.  And the network isn't
my responsibility, I'm just looking to use it to filter out failure
reports from services beyond failed network links.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info