Monitoring a router

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Sep 1 23:41:15 CEST 2009

Not complex stuff; I'm not really monitoring the router primarily (that's
another group's job), but I want some kind of check whether the router,
and the connection it serves, are working or not (to use as a parent for
other checks, so that I get just get notified that the router is down
rather than every host and server beyond it reported down if the link goes
down).

Right now I'm just pinging it.  That works, in the sense that I get the
ping back. But I am suspicious that, if the link went down, the router
would still respond to pings.

Is this "best practice" in the opinion of the community?  Or is using SNMP
to monitor something inside the router better somehow?  And if so, WHAT?
One thing that comes to mind is IP-MIB::ipForwarding, which appears to be
a boolean.  I don't know if that indicates administrative state or actual
condition, though.  Should I be looking for some sort of interface state
field instead?

(It's a  Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software
(cat4000-I9S-M), Version 12.2(25)EWA11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info