Monitoring Unix machine from a windows machine

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Sep 1 17:47:51 CEST 2009

Steven Battaille wrote:

> Hi all
>

> Is there somebody who got experience in monitoring Unix machines from
> a windows machine?
>

> I’m not able to install the nagios plugins on the Unix machine. So it
> is the windows machine that will launch the scripts on the Unix machine.
>

> Would this be done by SSH or any other manner?

If you can't install plugins on the Unix machine, you're pretty limited
in what you'll be able to do. Even if you were to SSH in from the
Windows box, there'd be nothing to run once you got there to check the
local disk.

You're probably going to either need a plugin on the box somehow (i.e.,
in a user's home directory if not installed in a usual system location),
or use some sort of remote check like SNMP.