Monitor Sun Enterprise T2000 hardware

Juergen Arndt arndt02 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:15:44 CEST 2009

Hi Scott,

> Hi, is there any plugin to Monitor Sun Enterprise T2000 hardware like
> HDD failure, memery ,fan ,and CPU problem? What about Sun tape drive and
> storageteh as well? Or we can only use snmp trap sent from them to
> monitor?

personally I don't know any special plugin to monitor a T2000. But I guess
it's quite easy to write a perl script, which parses through the output of
prtdiag for example.

To monitor things like fans, temperatures and so on via SNMP you need to
install a special SNMP agent additionally to the usual one (SUN delivers a
version of Net-SNMP within a Solaris installation). Maybe the links [1]
and [2] are helpful for that purpose. Pay attention to the fact, that you
need different packages for different platforms - so for a T2000 you need
a different agent than for a T1000 or a V445. In link [2] you should find
a table which packages belongs to which platform.

For tape drives and storage solutions I have no idea, but maybe SNMP is
your choice here too. Just study the MIBs, which data you can get from
them and which traps they will send out.

[1] http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/index.php?id=730
[2]
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/snmp.netra.14~snmp1.4-sfire-netra?l=en#hic

Hope that helps a little bit,