Windows Agent - Passive Checks

Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 13:02:09 CEST 2009

--- On Tue, 20/10/09, Tony <nagios at aspireinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I've used Nagios for a
> few years now and up to now
> have only really monitored Linux servers and Network
> hardware.
> However I'm now having
> to monitor Windows servers
> more and more, which isn't a problem as there are
> plenty of Windows agents
> available to monitor Windows servers.
>
> However I was wondering if
> anyone had come
> across/written an agent that sits on a Windows server and
> sends Passive checks
> to Nagios if say a service stops, no matter what the
> service is. Rather than
> having Nagios query the host every x minutes and creating
> network traffic when
> there isn't any reason to if all the services Nagios
> wants to check are up and
> running.
>
> Just a thought...

But how would you know if there was a problem with the entire host running the service?

The way other products work is they have a client that connects to the monitoring server periodically to say everything is OK / state issues, and if there's no contact then it raises an issue.

I guess you could cludge something - a service check that connects to another process running on the monitoring machine, which in turn listens for reports from hosts....