Error 126 and 127 on multiple commands

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Oct 16 12:44:52 CEST 2009

Morris, Patrick wrote:
> I've been running Nagios for years, and today have run into an issue
> that's got me banging my head against a wall.
>
> I've got a distributed setup, basically with two Nagios 3.1.0 machines
> on Red Hat EL4 running the same checks simultaneously. Today they both
> started reporting a return code of 126 or 127 for various commands that
> are not missing, and do not have permissions that would not allow Nagios
> to run them.
>
> For example, this happens whenever a notification is attempted:
>
> [1255684343] Warning: Attempting to execute the command "/usr/bin/printf
> "%b" "***** Nagios  *****\n\nNotification Type: PROBLEM\nNotification
> Number: 2\n\nService: MYSERVICE\nHost: myhost\nAddress:
> myhost.edited.com\nState: CRITICAL\n\nDate/Time: Fri Oct 16 02:12:22 PDT
> 2009\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n(Return code of 127 is out of bounds -
> plugin may be missing)\n\nComment: : \n\nWiki:
> https://wiki.link\n\nNagios:
> https://nagios/nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=2&host=myhost&service=MYSERVICE"
> | /bin/mail -s "PROBLEM: myhost/MYSERVICE CRITICAL **" noc at mydomain.com"
> resulted in a return code of 127.  Make sure the script or binary you
> are trying to execute actually exists...
>
> If I use "su - nagios" and copy and paste the failed command at a
> command prompt, it works. The notification commands very consistently
> return a 127, while various checks (but not all of them) will return a
> 126 or a 127.
>
> Stranger, the same exact plugin (check_http, for example) may work fine
> for one service, but return an error code for another.
>
> Now, my installation on this instance of Nagios is pretty large: 548
> hosts and about 8500 services. The same check configurations and
> plugins, however, are synched across 24 other Nagios boxes and assigned
> to different hosts, and those all work just fine. It's just this, my
> biggest installation, where they've started failing.
>
> This feels to me like I've hit some sort of capacity limitation. I've
> pared down some things (like cutting a complicated escalation
> configuration from 24,000 escalations to 3,500), but that didn't help.
> I've offloaded half the checks to another system that submits passive
> results over nsca, but that didn't help either.
>
> I've played with a lot of tuning settings like limiting concurrent
> checks, spacing out an aggressively tuned check schedule, and generally
> just screwing with stuff, but nothing's worked, and I'm wondering if
> someone's run into this sort of thing before, and might be able to point
> me at something I haven't tried yet.
>
> For the record, there's no SELinux involved, and nothing unusual in the
> system logs.

A little more data after fighting with this all night:

That same notification command above? It works sometimes, but not
others. For example, I'm getting notifications from the passive checks I
offloaded to another machine, but not from some (but not all) of the
checks run locally, using the exact same notification command defined as
service_check_via_email in my configs.

I've tried bumping up the available file handles and setting a higher
'ulimit -n' in the startup script, clearing out all the saved status and
perfdata info, and threatening to replace the whole system with an old
dusty copy of Netsaint, but still no progress.