notify by telephone call?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Tue Oct 6 22:42:14 CEST 2009

Can anyone whose already done this point me in the right direction for
sending out notifications by reading the alerts into a phone call?

The hard part isn't the text-to-speech (I'm assuming I can just use
festival for that), or even a pre-recorded message.

What's proving to be the hard part for me is figuring out how to
reliably make a phone call.  We have an existing VoIP phone system,
including Cisco routers I could connect to using SIP... if I could find
a good command-line SIP calling tool.

I also don't want to create a notification method that causes Nagios to
back up on notifications.  The existing notification methods allow
Nagios to quickly hand off notifications to other daemons that ensure
reliable delivery (QuickPage, which is wonderful for sending SMS via TAP
gateways, and sendmail, which of course handles sending out
notifications by email).  But I don't want to get distracted by this --
if I could just find a good command-line
"place-a-call-and-play-some-audio-into-it" tool, I could wrap it easily
in enough scripting to make it reliable.

So far I've found notes on using vgetty (and I'm still reading through
those), and I've found notes on doing this with Asterisk (but I don't
have Asterisk and I hope it's an unneeded level of complexity).  There
are lots of graphical sip clients available, but I haven't found any
others to use from the command-line yet.

Suggestions?

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
Herff Jones, Inc. Systems Engineer
Phone: 317.612.3519
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Unix.