How to monitor a linux file opened & closedstatus using Nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Oct 5 14:12:10 CEST 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Selvakumar A wrote:

> Hi,
>    Thanks a lot.I checked with the  "lsof" command.It gives the
> number of opened files via shell,VI editor.But when I open a file
> through GNOME text editor the "lsof" command does not give the
> status of the file opened by GNOME text Editor.
> It would be fine if a command gives the status of the file opened by
> gnome text editor.

I don't use Gnome but I can say that lsof shows every open file on the
system. If it's not shown, it's not opened. Perhaps gedit creates a
tmp file while editing another file and 'edits' that. Perhaps there's
some reliable relation to the name or location of the 'edited' file
that you can use as inference. lsof can help you determine that.

--
Marc