monitoring hundreds of network switches

Marcel mitsuto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:36:30 CET 2009

I don't know about others on this list, but what I do to start a new
configuration:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> With the fping command (not check_fping) I can feed it a list of IPs
> to check from a file.  If I ran fping with -a and did a diff between
> that output and my original list of IPs, I'd get a report of which switches
> are
> down.  I could write a shell script to do this and set up a cron in less
> time
> than it would take to do the same in nagios with my current knowledge
> of the configuration options in nagios.  I'm sure someone will be
> up to the challenge of showing me it is just as easy to set up in nagios.
>
> I saw this example:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-routers.html
> but I don't get "allhosts, switches" in the hostgroups configuration.
> Is this some sort of keyword or built-in wildcard?

I start creating a directory named after the DataCenter or location, maybe:
/opt/nagios/etc/object/Dallas

There I create several files, each containing one host{} directive, without
hostgroups or whatever.

Then, the first service{name ping\n check_command\t
check_icmp\nhostgroup_name all (...)} is applied to a hostgroup
{hostgroup_name all\n alias all CIs\n members .*} (I've turned on the true
regexp matching).

With just these steps you can have all your CI's setup properly.

HTH,