Nagios is logging "Service Check Timed Out" for certain service

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Nov 25 16:01:02 CET 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 11:37 PM, Yu Watanabe wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> I am gathering information for a problem I had experienced in nagios v2.10.
>
> I was running Nagios on RHEL 4.5. The story is that Nagios suddenly started returing "Service Check Timed Out"
> on a certain service, not on other services. The time that "Service Check Timed Out" started occuring was
> 23:13:48.
>
> Has anyone had such experience?

Yes. It means that the check is taking longer than either the plugin timeout or nagios' master timeout. There are many reasons why this could be happening but the most common are that the remote system is slow to respond or network problems between the nagios machine and the remote system are present. It could also be caused by problems with external systems as well such as DNS.

There are far too many factors to give you a specific answer. You'll need to do some digging into events around that time on your network and systems in order to discover the cause. I'd suggest starting by discovering all the things that these problem checks have in common and check each for potential cause.

--
Marc