What would you want in a replacement web interface?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Nov 20 17:15:04 CET 2009

2009/11/16 Taylor Dondich <tdondich at lilacnetworks.com>:

> #1) What is the most important thing you want to see in a Tactical
> Overview replacement?  What are the most essential components?

I think most if not all of it is useful except ...

for quite a few of my services I have deliberately disabled flap
detection, and for passive checks I have disabled active checks.  I
would like not to see anything about these in the tactical overview.
In fact, it would be useful to have a customisable tactical overview
so I can pick/choose which elements I want to see in it.

> #2) When looking at a Host or a Service, what are the details you
> want/need to see?  What can you not live without?

To be honest, I don't think I can live without any of it.  Except I
usually modify the URL of the status cgis to include "noheader" as I'm
rarely interested in what's in the header.

> #3) What is your biggest gripe regarding the existing Nagios web user
> interface?

In no particular order ...

I would like to be able to view host and service status on the same
screen, in the same table.

I would like optionally to view problems in hard state only.

I would like the option to output any report to a .pdf

I would like the display to change only subtly when I'm restarting the
nagios daemon.

Cheers,

Jim